Preparation time: Less than 30 mins.
Cooking time: 30 mins to 1 hour.
- 450g/16 oz courgettes
- 1 aubergine
- 3-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 kg firm, ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 10-12 fresh basil leaves, torn
- Pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2x125g/4½ oz low-fat mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 150g/5¼ oz fresh lasagne sheets
- 100g/3½ oz freshly grated parmesan
- Slice the courgettes and aubergine into diagonal slices. Heat a ridged grill pan, brush the slices with olive oil and grill for several minutes each side until chargrilled, then remove. You’ll have to do this in batches.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5. Brush the inside of a large baking dish with a little oil. Place a layer of sliced tomatoes (about one third of the total) on the bottom, slightly overlapping.
- Next, layer with half of the courgette and aubergine slices. Sprinkle with half the chopped garlic and one tbsp balsamic vinegar.
- Scatter over half of the torn basil leaves and season with salt and pepper.
- Layer half the mozzarella slices on top, then cover with half the lasagne sheets.
- Continue layering with the rest of the ingredients, ending with a layer of tomatoes on top. Sprinkle over the parmesan.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another five minutes until the parmesan’s golden on top.