Prep time: 20 min
Ingredients of Zucchini Salad with Shaved Parmesan:
- 1 medium-size lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds small zucchini cut into lengthwise slice about 1/2-inch thick
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted*
- 1/3 cup thinly-shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese**
* Toasting almonds: To toast sliced or chopped nuts, place in a small dry frying pan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, approximately 2 to 4 minutes.
** Use your vegetable peeler to shave off thin cheese slices.
Directions for Zucchini Salad with Shaved Parmesan:
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove the peel from the lemon with a vegetable peeler (making sure not to include any white pith); reserve the lemon and set aside. Cut the lemon peel into thin slivers. Add the lemon slivers to the boiling water and cook approximately 4 to 5 minutes or until soft. Remove from heat, drain, and set aside to cool.
- Lemon Dressing: Squeeze the juice from the lemon into a small bowl. Whisk in the olive oil, pepper to combine; set aside. NOTE: This Lemon Dressing may be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature when ready to serve.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high or place a grill pan over medium-high heat on your stovetop until hot. Oil the grill rack or the grill pan.
- Grill the zucchini slices, turning once, approximately 6 to 8 minutes or until tender; remove from grill.
- Arrange the grilled zucchini slices on a platter and drizzle with the reserved Lemon Dressing. Serve sprinkled with almonds, parmesan cheese, and the lemon peel.
- Makes 6 servings.
Per serving: 135 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 181 mg sodium; 452 mg potassium