Servings # 6
No of ingredients: 14.
Prep time: 20 Min
Total time: 2 Hr
Ingredients of Wheat Berry, Grilled Corn and Spinach Salad:
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked wheat berries
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium ears fresh sweet corn, husks and silk removed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
Directions for Wheat Berry, Grilled Corn and Spinach Salad:
- In 2-quart saucepan, heat water, wheat berries and salt to a rolling boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours or until tender. Drain; rinse with cold water to cool. Drain well.
- Heat gas or charcoal grill. Place corn on grill over medium-high heat. Cover grill; cook 12 to 15 minutes, turning frequently, until tender. Cool slightly; cut corn from ears to measure about 2 cups.
- In large bowl, stir together wheat berries, corn, tomatoes, spinach and onion.
- In 1-cup measuring cup, mix vinegar, orange peel, orange juice, oil, honey, salt and red pepper with wire whisk. Stir into wheat berry mixture. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- Wheat berries can be cooked 1 day ahead. Just cover and refrigerate until ready to mix with remaining ingredients.
1 Serving (1 Serving) Calories 180 (Calories from Fat 50), Total Fat 6g (Saturated Fat 1g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 610mg; Total Carbohydrate 27g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 6g), Protein 4g; Percent Daily Value*: Exchanges:1 1/2 Starch;0 Fruit;0 Other Carbohydrate;0 Skim Milk;0 Low-Fat Milk;0 Milk;0 Vegetable;0 Very Lean Meat;0 Lean Meat;0 High-Fat Meat;1 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices:2; *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.