Makes 6 kebabs.
Ingredients of Vegetable Kebabs Agrodolce:
- 1 head radicchio (9 oz.), quartered
- 1 Japanese eggplant (5 oz.), halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 summer squash or zucchini (9 oz.), cut into 1-inch-thick slices
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into 12 1-inch cubes.
- 5 Tbs. olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (2 Tbs.)
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh marjoram or oregano
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- Canola oil for greasing grill grate
Directions for Vegetable Kebabs Agrodolce:
- Soak radicchio quarters in bowl of cold water 1 hour, placing plate on top to keep radicchio submerged. Drain, squeeze dry with clean towels, and cut each quarter into 3 1-inch sections, discarding stem portion.
- Set steamer basket in large saucepan filled with 1 inch of water, and bring to a simmer. Place eggplant in basket, cover, and steam 1 minute. Add squash, cover, and cook 5 minutes more. Cool.
- Soak raisins in small bowl of warm water 5 to 10 minutes. Drain, chop, and set aside.
- Toast pine nuts in dry skillet 3 to 5 minutes, or until beginning to brown. Chop 3 Tbs. pine nuts, and leave 1 Tbs. whole. Combine pine nuts with chopped raisins.
- Thread 1 radicchio section, 1 avocado cube, 1 squash slice, and 1 eggplant slice onto each skewer. Repeat threading so each skewer has 2 of each vegetable.
- Heat oil in small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, marjoram, and pinch of salt; cook 2 minutes, swirling skillet occasionally. Add balsamic vinegar, then remove from heat. Brush kebabs with oil mixture. Return pan to medium heat, add raisins and pine nuts, and cook 30 seconds to 1 minute. Set aside.
- Heat grill to high. Grease grill grate with oil. Set kebabs on grill, adjusting eggplant and squash pieces so they touch grill as much as possible. Cook 2 to 4 minutes with lid open. Flip kebabs, and cook 2 to 4 minutes more, or until grill marks appear. Transfer to serving platter, and spoon raisin and pine nut mixture over kebabs.
- Calories: 226
- Protein: 3 g
- Total Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 37 mg
- Fiber: 4 g
- Sugar: 7 g