Make extra and freeze cooked burgers in an airtight container or zip-top bag for up to 3 months. Simply reheat on a plate in a microwave oven for about 2 minutes, or on a dry griddle for about 5 minutes.
Serves 8 to 10
Ingredients of Tamale Burgers:
- 1/3 cup masa harina
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen and thawed corn kernels
- 1 chipotle chile pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce, from can
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups cooked brown rice, warmed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3/4 teaspoon lime peel
- 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 8 to 10 corn tortillas
- Lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, and taco sauce, for serving
Directions for Tamale Burgers:
- Mix the masa harina with 1/2 cup water in a small bowl; set aside.
- Pour the vegetable broth into a medium nonstick saucepan and add the onion, bell pepper, corn, chile, adobo sauce, garlic, and cumin. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, about 10 minutes. Add the masa harina and mix well (mixture will be very thick). Cover the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring once or twice, for 5 minutes.
- Put the warmed rice in a large bowl and add the masa-vegetable mixture, along with the cilantro, lime peel, and lime juice. Mix very well. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Fill a small bowl with water and place it by a work surface, along with the baking sheets. Moisten your hands with the water, then pinch off and shape the mixture into 8 to 10 oblong, flattened burgers that fit across the middle of a tortilla or shape into patties for buns. Arrange the shaped burgers on the baking sheets. Refrigerate the burgers on the baking sheets for 30 minutes.
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill, or heat a stovetop grill or griddle. Grill the burgers over medium heat until crusty, about 7 minutes per side.
- To serve, place a burger in a tortilla or on a bun, add toppings, and eat.