8 servings, about 1 cup each.
Active Time: 45 minutes.
Total Time: 1 hour.
Ingredients of Tabbouleh with Grilled Vegetables:
- 1 cup bulgur
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slabs
- 2 sweet onions, such as Vidalia, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 3 large portobello mushroom caps, wiped clean
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
Directions for Tabbouleh with Grilled Vegetables:
- Place bulgur and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add boiling water and stir. Cover with plastic wrap and let soak until tender and liquid has been absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill to medium-high. Place a fine-mesh nonstick grill topper on the grill to heat.
- Place zucchini, onions, portobellos and tomatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Brush both sides with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Working in batches, grill the vegetables until tender, turning once or twice. Allow 8 to 10 minutes for zucchini and onions, 6 to 8 minutes for mushrooms, and 2 to 3 minutes for tomatoes.
- Toast walnuts in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. When the vegetables are cool enough to handle, coarsely chop the zucchini, onions and mushrooms. Cut the tomatoes in half.
- When the bulgur is tender, add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, parsley and mint; toss to mix. Add the vegetables and toss. Sprinkle with walnuts.
Tips and Notes:
Make Ahead Tip: Store at room temperature for up to 1 hour.
Per serving: 167 calories; 9 g fat ( 1 g sat , 5 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 6 g fiber; 236 mg sodium; 455 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 27 mg vitamin c (45% dv), 23% dv fiber, 20% dv vitamin a, 60 mg magnesium (15% dv).