It’s easy to find meatless products, like soy-based sausages, at most grocery stores, and they taste great, too. When a recipe can be made without meat, why not give it a try? This recipe takes some simple prep and just a few minutes on the grill until dinner is ready. Serve with a side of cheesy couscous or your favorite salad for a terrific.
Ingredients Stuffed and grilled Hungarian peppers:
- 4 Hungarian peppers, tops cut off, seeds and membranes carefully removed
- 3 or 4 Italian-seasoned, soy-based sausage links
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 Parmesan cheese
- 3 or 4 tablespoons prepared tomato sauce (plus 2/3 cup for topping)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 crushed red pepper
- 1 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
Directions for Stuffed and grilled Hungarian peppers:
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook the soy sausage links, remove and set aside. When cooled a bit, cut into small pieces.
- Meanwhile, add more oil to the skillet if needed and cook the onion until it begins to brown. Add the garlic during the last few minutes of cooking.
- Add the sausage pieces to the onion mixture, stir and add the three or four tablespoons of tomato sauce. Stir until all is incorporated. Remove and place in a medium-sized bowl.
- Once cool to the touch, add the breadcrumbs and cheese to the sausage mixture, along with the salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and stir to incorporate.
- Stuff the mixture into the peppers, packing it gently, all the way to the bottom of each pepper. There should be extra stuffing remaining. Add the two-thirds cup of tomato sauce to the extra stuffing, mix together and keep warm. Use this to top the peppers when ready to serve.
- Cover the ends of the peppers with a small piece of aluminum foil so the stuffing doesn’t fall out.
- Brush the peppers lightly with oil and place on the grill over medium heat.
- Cook the peppers, turning once, for about two minutes on each side until they begin to acquire grill marks, then remove.
- Remove the aluminum foil and place the stuffed peppers on a serving platter. Top with remaining stuffing mixture and serve warm.