Ingredients of Storecupboard rarebit:
- 2 thick slices of wholemeal bread
- 85g mature cheddar , grated
- ½ small red onion , finley chopped
- 2 small tomatoes , roughly chopped
- 1 medium egg
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
Directions for Storecupboard rarebit:
- Toast the bread. Preheat the grill and toast the bread on both sides. Set the toast aside, but keep the grill on.
- Make the mix. In a bowl combine the cheese, onion, tomatoes, egg and cayenne, if using. Give it all a good stir and season well with salt and pepper. Divide the cheesy mix between the two slices of toast and spread it out so it completely covers the toast.
- Get grilling. Slide the toast back under the grill and cook until golden brown and bubbling. Eat while it’s hot.
Nutrition per serving:
315 kcalories, protein 18g, carbohydrate 20g, fat 16 g, saturated fat 10g, fibre 3g, salt 1.39 g