To be efficient, grill the asparagus and scallions for the Frittata over medium heat at the same time you grill the peppers for the Grilled Red Pepper Romesco Sauce. We call for the dried version of spring morels as the other main ingredient for the filling only because the fresh mushrooms are often expensive and not available fresh in many areas of the country. If youve got fresh morels, use them.Use a full-flavored olive oil for the Grilled Red Pepper Romesco Sauce. When the sauce is smooth after processing, it is ready to use, or you can cover and refrigerate it, but bring it to room temperature before serving. Any leftover sauce keeps for days when refrigerated. The sauce recipe makes about 1 1/2 cups.
Ingredients of Spring Frittata with Morels, Grilled Asparagus and Grilled Scallions:
- 2 Tbs. olive oil plus extra for rubbing
- 6 oz. pencil-thin fresh asparagus, spears trimmed of tough ends
- ½ oz. dried morel mushrooms or other dried wild mushrooms
- 2 oz. thin scallions, trimmed of limp green portions
- 8 large eggs
- ½ tsp. salt, or more to taste
- ¼ tsp. freshly milled pepper
- 1 Tbs. Grilled Red Pepper Romesco Sauce
- 2 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated
Grilled Red Pepper Romesco Sauce
- 2 hefty red bell peppers, about 6 oz. each
- ½ cup (2¼-oz. pkg.) sliced or slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. sweet paprika, preferably Spanish
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper
- ¾ tsp. coarse salt, either kosher or sea salt
- ½ cup olive oil
Directions for Spring Frittata with Morels, Grilled Asparagus and Grilled Scallions:
- Fire up grill to medium heat.
- Rub asparagus and scallions with olive oil. Grill on all sides, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- To make Grilled Red Pepper Romesco Sauce: Put peppers on grill, and cook until softened and mostly blackened on all sides, for 12 to 15 minutes. Put peppers in a paper or plastic bag to steam briefly until cool enough to handle. Strip off majority of blackened skins, rinsing your hands as needed. Slice peppers into chunks, discarding stems and seeds and reserving juices.
- Put peppers and any juices, almonds, garlic, vinegar, paprika, crushed red pepper and salt in a blender or food processor. With motor running, pour in oil, and process until combined and nearly smooth. Set aside.
- To make Frittata: Soak mushrooms in hot water to cover until soft, for about 15 minutes. Strain off, reserve 2 tablespoons of water and discard grit. Halve or quarter mushrooms if larger than bite-sized. Chop asparagus and scallions into bite-sized pieces, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F, or use a covered grill at same temperature.
- Whisk together eggs, salt, pepper, Grilled Red Pepper Romesco Sauce, 2 tablespoons mushroom-soaking water and about half cheese until combined.
- Pour oil into an 8×10-inch ovenproof skillet, preferably nonstick, and heat over medium heat. Stir in mushrooms, asparagus and scallions, and warm through. Pat mixture down evenly in skillet. Pour egg mixture evenly into skillet. Continue heating until bottom is lightly set, for about 3 minutes more, lifting edges and tilting skillet to allow uncooked egg to flow to bottom. Scatter remaining cheese over Frittata. Cover, and transfer skillet to oven.
- Bake until Frittata is set to desired firmness, for 10 to 12 minutes. Slice into wedges, and serve hot, at room temperature or chilled.
- Calories: 210
- Protein: 14 g
- Total Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 290 mg
- Sodium: 430 mg
- Fiber: 1 g
- Sugar: 1 g