Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 1 sandwich
Ingredients of Smoky Jalapeño Grilled Cheese With Tomatillos:
- 1 fresh jalapeno, stem and seeds discarded, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- juice of one lime
- 1 fresh tomatillo, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 ounces mild cheddar, grated
- 1 1/2 ounces smoked gouda, grated
- 1 ounce Gruyere, grated
- 2 slices crusty white bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions for Smoky Jalapeño Grilled Cheese With Tomatillos:
- Combine jalapeño, lime juice, cilantro and brown sugar. Mix thoroughly and set aside for at least ten minutes.
- Using the palms of your hands, lightly press the tomatillo slices between two paper towels to draw out the excess liquid. Set aside.
- Sprinkle the cheddar on one of the white bread slices. Drain the jalapenos and cilantro, reserving the lime juice. Sprinkle the jalapeños and cilantro on top of the cheddar cheese. Add the gruyere, followed by the gouda, followed by the tomatillo slices. Put the second slice of bread on top and microwave for twenty seconds to pre-melt the cheese.
- Meanwhile, melt one tablespoon butter in skillet over medium heat. Place the sandwich in the middle of the butter and press on top with a spatula. When the sandwich is flattened, use the spatula (or a butter knife, if you prefer) to spread the remaining butter on top of the sandwich.
- When the bottom half turns a golden color, flip the sandwich. Press down again with the spatula, and fry until the other half is golden brown and the cheese is melted. If necessary, flip the sandwich again to keep it from burning.
- Transfer to a plate and cut in quarters. Brush with the reserved lime juice, or set aside for dipping and serve.