This side dish gets a boost of flavor and color from a lovely spice derived from a flower. Try saffron pilaf with grilled vegetables as a side dish at your next holiday meal (or weeknight dinner) to wow those gathered at your table!
Serves 4 people.
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 (14-1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 red sweet pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 large zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 eggplant, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 ounce herbed semi-soft goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- Prepare your oven broiler. Place the rice, vegetable broth, water and saffron into a saucepan and bring to a boil. When it’s boiling, cover the pan and simmer the mixture for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, place the sweet pepper, zucchini and eggplant onto a baking sheet and brush generously with oil. Sprinkle the vegetables with the garlic and a few pinches of salt and pepper; grill for 10 minutes, turning once halfway through the cooking time.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and cut into small pieces once cool enough to handle. Add the vegetables to the rice, toss to combine and then serve topped with the crumbled goat cheese and the hazelnuts.
This is a dish everyone will enjoy. With its golden hue and savory flavor, it’s a great way to encourage people to eat more veggies!