Prep: 25 min
Inactive: 1 hr 0 min
Cook: 1 hr 10 min
Yield: 4 servings
Ingredients of Roasted Root Vegetable Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons:
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed into 2-inch chunks
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 medium celery root, peeled and cut into chunks
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for liberal drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg 1 bulb garlic*
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Dash honey
- Dash hot sauce
*Cook’s Note: roast 2 heads at the same time for Roasted Pepper and Eggplant Marinara, another make-ahead meal below.
- 4 slices thick-cut good-quality white bread
- 4 slices deli-cut on thicker-side sharp yellow Cheddar
Directions for Roasted Root Vegetable Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a roasting pan, coat the potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and celery root in just enough extra-virgin olive oil to coat, then season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Roast the vegetables until tender and caramelized at edges, about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Puree the vegetables in batches with the stock and transfer to a soup pot. Season the soup with honey and hot sauce, to taste. Cool and store for make-ahead meal.
- To reheat: Reheat over medium heat.
- For the cheese sandwiches: Preheat the oven. On the night you want to serve the soup, arrange a cooling rack over a baking sheet and assemble 2 cheese sandwiches using 2 bread slices and 2 slices cheese per sandwich. Cube each sandwich into 9 mini-sandwiches and separate in a baking sheet providing space between each mini-sandwich. Coat the sides and tops of each sandwich with cooking spray. Bake in the hot oven until golden and cheese melts. Float a few sandwich-croutons in each bowl of the soup bowls.