Ingredients of Ratatouille with Grilled Bread:
- Olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, 4 finely chopped, 1 split
- 3/4 pound eggplant, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3/4 pound small zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3/4 pound cherry tomatoes, left whole
- 3/4 pound onions, red or white, in fairly thick slices
- A few basil leaves, torn
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 slices crusty bread, such as a baguette length split lengthwise
Directions for Ratatouille with Grilled Bread:
- Gather 4 medium-sized pans and cover the bottom of each with olive oil. Choose one with higher sides to hold all the ingredients after cooking, and cook the eggplant in this one.
- Heat the oil over medium-low heat and add a clove of chopped garlic to each pan, cooking until fragrant, about a minute. Add a vegetable to each pot. Cook the eggplant gently until it softens and turns creamy; the onions until soft and beginning to caramelize; the tomatoes until the skins split but they are still holding their shape; the zucchini over low heat until tender, then higher heat to brown them. Season each vegetable to taste with salt and pepper.
- When all the vegetables are ready, combine them in one pot and stir carefully to combine. Season again to taste, and add the basil. Heat for 1-2 minutes.
- In the meantime, toast or grill the bread slices and rub the remaining split clove of garlic over their surfaces. Drizzle with them with olive oil and serve with the ratatouille.