Ingredients of Pepper Jack Grilled Cheese Sandwiches:
- 5 jalapeno peppers
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 slices bread
Directions for Pepper Jack Grilled Cheese Sandwiches:
- Let’s first work with the jalapenos. Char jalapeno skins by placing them over a low open flame, and rotating them until blackened all around. You can also place jalapenos under the broiler and toast until blackened on all sides. Remove from the flame (or oven), and allow the peppers to steam. I placed my hot and blackened peppers in a small pot with the lid on. You can also loosely wrap the peppers in foil. After peppers have steamed for about 10 minutes, place on a clean work surface. Use the sharp edge of a knife to scrape the skin off the peppers. Once clean of skin, slice off the top, cup dow the center vertically, and use the knife to scrape out the seeds. Coarsely chop and set aside.
- I use a knife to peel and de-seed the jalapenos. It’s best to touch the peppers as little as possible, or wear plastic gloves.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Flip the bread so the butter is facing down. Spread half of the cream cheese on two slices of the bread. Sprinkle diced jalapenos atop the cream cheese. Divide the shredded cheese atop the jalapenos and cream cheese. Top with remaining bread slice, butter side up.
- Grill sandwiches in a non-stick saute pan over medium heat. Flip and cook until golden brown on each side. Slice in half and serve immediately.