Favorite Mediterranean vegetables like eggplant, red pepper and portobello mushrooms mix with balsamic vinegar and mozzarella cheese to fill slices of whole wheat bread in this scrumptious grilled sandwich.
Prep Time: 5 mins.
Total Time: 20 mins.
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 2 portobello mushrooms, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium red pepper, cut into strips (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 slices onions, 1/2-inch thick each
- 8 slices eggplants, 1/4-inch thick each
- Garlic powder (optional)
- 1/2 cupshredded fat-free mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp.balsamic vinegar
- 8 slices Pepperidge Farm® 100% Natural Soft 100% Whole Wheat Bread
- Spray a nonstick grill pan with the cooking spray and heat over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms, pepper and onion to one side of the pan. Add the eggplant to the other side. Sprinkle the garlic powder over all, if desired. Cook until the vegetables are tender. Sprinkle the eggplant with the cheese and cook until the cheese is melted.
- Place the mushrooms, pepper and onion into a medium bowl. Add the vinegar and toss to coat. Divide the eggplant slices among 4 bread slices. Top with the mushroom mixture and remaining bread slices.
- Alternate Preparation: If you don’t have a grill pan, this recipe can be made in a 12-inch nonstick skillet.