Street vendors across Mexico sell this style of roasted or grilled corn—topped with mayonnaise, chili powder and Cotija cheese. You can serve the unadorned corn on a platter with small bowls of the sauce, cheese and lime on the side so everyone can make their own.
Active Time: 25 minutes.
Total Time: 25 minutes.
Ingredients of Mexican Grilled Corn:
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 ears corn, husked
- 4 tablespoons finely shredded Cotija, (see Shopping Tip) or Parmesan cheese
- 1 lime, quartered
Directions for Mexican Grilled Corn:
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Combine mayonnaise, yogurt and chili powder in a small bowl.
- Grill corn, turning occasionally, until marked and tender, 8 to 12 minutes total. Spread each ear with 1 tablespoon of the sauce and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Cotija (or Parmesan). Serve with lime wedges.
Tip & Notes:
Shopping tip: Cotija cheese, also called queso añejo or queso añejado, is an aged Mexican cheese similar in texture and flavor to Parmesan. Find it near other specialty cheeses or in Mexican grocery stores.
Per serving: 98 calories; 3 g fat ( 1 g sat , 0 g mono ); 2 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 108 mg sodium; 19 mg potassium.