- 2 tablespoons achiote powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon raw cane sugar (or brown sugar)
- 3 medium cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 big pinches of salt
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 12 ounce package of extra firm tofu, cut into 4 slabs
- Whisk together achiote powder, cayenne pepper and sugar. Sprinkle the salt over the garlic, smash it with your knife, and mince it into a paste. Add this to the achiote mixture along with the lemon juice. Whisk until combined.
- Place the tofu into an 8×8 baking dish and pour the achiote marinade over the tofu – flip it, flop it….make sure you get coverage on all sides. I rub the marinade into the tofu a bit. Place in the refrigerator for at least one hour, if I remember I’ll flip the tofu once or twice along the way.
- Place the tofu on a medium hot grill. Brush the top of each piece of tofu with some of the leftover achiote marinade, grill until the tofu is golden on the bottom with nice grill marks (rotate the tofu 90 degrees halfway through the grilling of each side to get those nice marks). Flip, cook the other side, brush the side facing up with more leftover marinade, and cook until the bottom is golden as well. Remove and serve over a salad, on a bun with all the fixings, or any other way you can think of .