This technique gets your bread golden and your cheese extra melty, making a simple sandwich something special (the Gruyère and shallots don’t hurt either). It’s rich enough that one sandwich and a double portion of salad make a satisfying lunch for two.
Ingredients of Gruyère Grilled Cheese with Apple Salad:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 3/4 cup 1/4-inch-thick sliced shallots
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 1/2-inch-thick slices country-style white bread
- 8 ounces Gruyère, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 2 cups arugula
- 1/2 apple (such as Pink Lady or Fuji), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Directions for Gruyère Grilled Cheese with Apple Salad:
- Preheat oven to 400°. Heat 2 Tbsp. butter in a small saucepan over high heat. When butter begins to foam, add shallots and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon or spatula, until shallots begin to soften and caramelize, 4–5 minutes; remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Working in 2 batches, add 1 Tbsp. butter and swirl in pan to melt butter and coat bottom of pan. Add 2 slices of bread to pan and cook until golden brown and crisp on the bottom, 2–3 minutes. Transfer bread, toasted side down, to a rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with remaining butter and bread slices. Divide cheese evenly among bread slices; top cheese with reserved shallots.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake until cheese is melted, 7–8 minutes.
- Combine arugula, apple slices, lemon juice, and oil in a large bowl; toss to coat and evenly distribute. Season salad to taste with salt and pepper.
- Press 2 pieces of bread together, melted cheese sides in; halve sandwich on a diagonal and place on a plate. Repeat with remaining bread slices. Divide salad between plates.
One serving contains:
- Calories(kcal) 1060
- Fat(g) 75
- Saturated Fat(g) 37
- Cholesterol(mg) 185
- Carbohydrates(g) 56
- Dietary Fiber(g) 4
- Total Sugars(g) 10
- Protein(g) 42
- Sodium(mg) 1110