COOK: 10 mins
READY IN: 20 mins
Original recipe makes 2 sandwiches
Ingredients of Grown Up Grilled Cheese Sandwich:
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 slices white American cheese
- 4 thin slices tomato
- 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch garlic salt, or to taste
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 slices provolone cheese
Directions for Grown Up Grilled Cheese Sandwich:
- Preheat skillet on medium heat.
- Spread 1/2 tablespoon butter onto one side of each slice of bread to cover evenly. With buttered sides of the bread facing out, layer 1 slice American cheese, 2 slices tomato, and 2 slices avocado onto each of 2 of the bread slices. Sprinkle about half the basil, red pepper flakes, and garlic salt atop the avocado layer. Finish by topping each with half the mozzarella and 1 slice provolone. Top each with 1 of the remaining bread slices with the buttered side facing out.
- Cook in hot skillet until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes per side.