This summery guacamole takes the “tableside” trend to a whole new place – the grill! Fresh avocados, sweet onions and other tasty veggies take on flavor from grilling, while a sprinkling of Mexican Cotija cheese gives this dish an even more delicious twist.
PREP TIME: 25 Min.
TOTAL TIME: 35 Min.
Ingredients of Grillside Guacamole:
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced, cut in half
- 2 jalapeño chiles (3 inch), cut lengthwise in half, seeded
- 4 ripe large avocados (about 2 lb) cut in half, pitted and peeled
- 3 plum (Roma) tomatoes, cut lengthwise in half, seeded
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coarse (kosher or sea) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup Queso Cotijo cheese, crumbled
Directions for Grillside Guacamole:
- Heat gas or charcoal grill. Spray 18×14-inch piece of heavy-duty foil or grill pan with cooking spray. Place onion and chiles on foil or pan. Place on grill over medium heat.
- Cover grill; cook 5 to 8 minutes or until onion and chiles are crisp-tender and just beginning to brown. Add avocados and tomatoes to the onion and chiles. Cover grill; cook about 5 minutes longer or until avocados and tomatoes are hot, turning once halfway through grilling.
- Remove vegetables from grill to cutting board. Finely chop chiles and coarsely chop remaining vegetables. In medium bowl, place vegetables, cilantro, lime juice, garlic salt and cumin; mix gently until combined. Stir in the cheese. Serve warm. If desired, serve with tortilla chips.
For extra heat, add 1/4 teaspoon red or green pepper sauce.
1 Serving (1 Serving) Calories 80 (Calories from Fat 50), Total Fat 6g (Saturated Fat 1g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 180mg; Total Carbohydrate 4g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 0g), Protein 1g; Percent Daily Value*: Exchanges:1/2 Starch;0 Fruit;0 Other Carbohydrate;0 Skim Milk;0 Low-Fat Milk;0 Milk;0 Vegetable;0 Very Lean Meat;0 Lean Meat;0 High-Fat Meat;1 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices:0; *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.