- 3 large russet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into wedge about 1 inch thick
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon of ancho or regular chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Type of fire: two-zone indirect
Grill heat: medium-high
- Mix together the cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
- Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all the charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and arrange the coals on one side of the charcoal grate for indirect cooking. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Brush the potatoes all over with olive oil and place over the hot side of the grill and cook until browned and crisp on both sides, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Move the potatoes to the cool side of the grill, cover, and continue to grill until cooked through, about 5 to 10 minutes longer.
- Remove the potatoes from the grill to a large bowl. Sprinkle with the spice mixture to taste and toss to coat. Serve immediately.