This healthy main is cooked completely on the grill and is flavored by a simple, four-ingredient marinade—so there’s very little cleanup required. Some grilled rustic bread would be nice alongside. And if you happen to have fig balsamic vinegar, use it in place of regular. It makes an excellent complement to the other flavors.
Yield: Makes 4 servings.
Active time: 25 minutes.
Total time: 25 minutes.
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh mint leaves plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 12-ounce container extra-firm tofu, cut crosswise into 8 slices, drained on paper towels
- 1 zucchini, trimmed, cut lengthwise into four 4-inch-long slices
- 1 red bell pepper, rounded ends trimmed, seeded, cut lengthwise into 4 pieces
- 1 Japanese eggplant, trimmed, cut lengthwise into four 4-inch-long slices
- 4 3-inch-diameter portobello or shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 small head of radicchio, quartered through root end
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Place vinegar and minced garlic in large bowl. Gradually whisk in olive oil. Stir in sliced mint. Season marinade to taste with salt and pepper.
- Working in batches, add tofu to marinade and turn to coat. Transfer tofu to baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add zucchini, bell pepper, eggplant, mushrooms, and radicchio to marinade in bowl and toss to coat.
- Place zucchini, pepper, eggplant, and mushrooms on grill. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until charred and softened, turning occasionally, about 6 minutes. Transfer to baking sheet. Place tofu and radicchio on grill. Cook until tofu is charred and radicchio is charred and wilted, about 2 minutes per side.
- Stack tofu and vegetables on plates. Garnish with mint sprigs and serve.
Per serving: 208.19 (kcal) calories, 67.8 % calories from fat, 15.68 g fat, 2.51 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 8.80 g carbohydrates, 3.09 g dietary fiber, 3.77 g total sugars, 5.71 g net carbohydrates, 11.47 g protein