Servings # 4
Number of ingredients: 16.
Prep time: 30 Min.
Total time: 30 Min.
Ingredients of Grilled Vegetables with Chick Pea Pilaf:
- 1 cup uncooked bulgur
- 2 cups water
- 1 extra-large vegetarian vegetable bouillon cube
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Dash ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 (15-oz.) can Chick Peas or garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed
- 4 medium carrots, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into 4 slices
- 2 medium yellow summer squash, cut lengthwise into 4 slices
- 1 yellow bell pepper, quartered lengthwise
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 4 Italian plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
Directions for Grilled Vegetables with Chick Pea Pilaf:
- In 2-quart saucepan, combine all pilaf ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until bulgur is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; fluff with fork. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat grill. Bring 1 cup water to a boil in large skillet. Reduce heat to medium. Add carrots; cover and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain; blot dry with paper towels.
- In small bowl, combine oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon cumin and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; mix well. Brush mixture on zucchini, summer squash, bell pepper, onion and tomatoes.
- When ready to grill, place vegetables in grill basket or directly on gas grill over medium-high heat or on charcoal grill 4 to 6 inches from medium-high coals. Cook 8 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally and removing vegetables from grill when tender and slightly browned. Cut vegetables into bite-sized pieces.
- Place pilaf in center of large platter. Arrange grilled vegetables around pilaf.
1 Serving (1 Serving) Calories 390 (Calories from Fat 50), Total Fat 6g (Saturated Fat 1g,), Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 930mg; Total Carbohydrate 68g (Dietary Fiber 19g, Sugars 15g), Protein 15g; Percent Daily Value*: Exchanges:3 Starch;1 1/2 Fruit;3 1/2 Other Carbohydrate;3 Vegetable;1/2 Very Lean Meat;1 Fat; *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.