For the grilled vegetables
- 2 small zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 small yellow squash, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 medium chayote, peeled, seeded, and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 3 Tbs. sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 serrano chile, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For assembling the tacos
- Eight 6-inch corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 recipe Cilantro Pesto
- 3/4 cup crumbled queso fresco cheese or feta (optional)
- Coarsely chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Grill the vegetables
- Prepare a medium-high gas or charcoal grill fire.
- In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, yellow squash, and chayote. Add the oil, garlic, serrano, 1 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. pepper and toss gently to coat. Grill, covered, until the vegetables become tender and have grill marks on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. The chayote will soften but won’t become limp like the zucchini and squash.
- Let the vegetables cool slightly and then slice crosswise into thin strips. Season to taste with more salt and pepper.
Assemble the tacos
- Spoon some of the vegetable mixture on top of each tortilla and top with a drizzle of the pesto and some crumbled cheese and chopped cilantro (if using). The filling can be warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition information (per serving):
Calories (kcal): 290; Fat (g): 23; Fat Calories (kcal): 200; Saturated Fat (g): 3.5; Protein (g): 6; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 5; Carbohydrates (g): 18; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 14; Sodium (mg): 260; Cholesterol (mg): 5; Fiber (g): 3;