Prep time: 30 min
Ingredients of Grilled Vegetable and Tomato Bread Salad:
- Olive oil for vegetables
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of good, fruity extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- Coarse sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 Armenian or English cucumber, seeds spooned out and cut into bite size chunks
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into bit-size chunks
- 6 to 8 fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh marjoram leaves, pulled from stems and chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 red onion, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded, cored, and cut in half
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored, and cut in half
- 1/2 of a sourdough baguette, cut into 1-inch thick slices
Directions for Grilled Vegetable and Tomato Bread Salad:
- Prepare your charcoal or gas grill for cooking. Brush the grill with olive oil.
- In a small container with a lid, whisk together the garlic, 1/4 cup olive oil, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, Champagne vinegar, salt, and pepper; set aside.
- Into your serving large salad or serving bowl, place the prepared cucumbers, tomatoes, basil, marjoram, and capers; sprinkle with a little salt and set aside.
- When your grill is hot, brush onion slices, red and yellow bell peppers, and bread slices with olive oil on both sides. Grill each for 4 minutes, and then turn and grill another 4 minutes. NOTE: Watch the bread closely to be sure it does not burn – you want nice grill marks. Remove the grilled vegetables and bread from the grill and place on a cutting board.
- Separate onion into rings, cut bell peppers into bite-size pieces, and also cut the toasted bread into bite-size pieces. Add the the vegetables and bread to the prepared tomato mixture and toss with the vinaigrette mixture. Taste and adjust seasonings to taste and serve.
NOTE: This salad can be prepared in the morning, but be sure to place the toasted bread on top of the grilled vegetables. Cover and refrigerate. Remove from refrigerator approximately 30 minutes prior to serving to let come almost to room temperature. Toss with the vinaigrette and serve.
Makes 1 large salad.