Prep: 50 min.
Bake: 10 min.
Yield: 4 Servings
Ingredients of Grilled Vegetable and Goat Cheese Napoleons:
- 2 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 large yellow summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 4 slices eggplant (1/2 inch thick)
- 1 package (5.3 ounces) fresh goat cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, divided
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 4 slices
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette
Directions for Grilled Vegetable and Goat Cheese Napoleons:
- Brush tomatoes with 2 teaspoons oil; sprinkle with oregano, basil and 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Transfer to an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- Brush zucchini and yellow squash with 2 tablespoons oil; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place vegetables in a grill wok or basket. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 8-12 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove and discard stems and gills from mushrooms. Brush mushrooms and eggplant with 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle with remaining salt. Grill mushrooms, covered, over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until tender. Grill eggplant, covered, over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the goat cheese, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon garlic and remaining pepper.
- Place mushrooms on a greased baking sheet; spread each with 2 teaspoons cheese mixture. Layer with zucchini, squash, 2 teaspoons cheese mixture, eggplant and remaining cheese mixture. Top with mozzarella cheese and tomato. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- In a large skillet, saute remaining garlic in remaining oil for 1 minute. Add spinach; cook for 4-5 minutes or until wilted. Divide among four plates; top each with a mushroom stack. Drizzle with vinaigrette.
Editor’s Note: If you do not have a grill wok or basket, use a disposable foil pan. Poke holes in the bottom of the pan with a meat fork to allow liquid to drain.
1 serving equals 377 calories, 27 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 833 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 16 g protein.
A soft, easily spread cheese with a distinctively tangy flavor made from the milk of goats. Goat cheese is often found in Middle Eastern or Mediterranean cuisines. Common varieties include chevre, a very soft cheese or feta, a semi-soft cheese.