Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Ingredients of Grilled Tofu with Crispy Shallots:
- 1 14-ounce package firm tofu
- Grapeseed oil
- 1 cup light soy sauce
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons gochujang paste or sriracha
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups shallots, thinly sliced
- kosher salt
- 1 lemon (for zest)
- 3 sprigs cilantro
Directions for Grilled Tofu with Crispy Shallots:
- Preheat a grill to high heat, or heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Cut the tofu into four 1-inch-thick slabs and pat them dry with paper towels. Lightly brush the tofu with oil and grill on both sides until deeply charred, about 1 minute each side. Transfer to a wide, shallow dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the soy sauce, pineapple juice, lemon juice, sugar, and gochujang paste and mix well. Pour the marinade over the grilled tofu and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, pour enough oil into a small saucepan to come 11/2 to 2 inches up the sides. Bring the temperature to 325°F over high heat, as measured by a deep-fry or candy thermometer. Meanwhile, line a sheet pan with paper towels and put it by the stove to hold the shallots as they come out of the oil.
- Put the cornstarch in a small bowl. Dredge the shallot discs in the cornstarch, shaking to remove any excess. When the oil is hot, add the shallots to the pot and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to the prepared sheet pan, let drain, and sprinkle with salt.
- To serve, place the tofu on a large plate, sprinkle the lemon zest on top, and sprinkle with the crispy shallots to finish. Garnish with cilantro leaves.