ACTIVE TIME: 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
Type of fire: Direct
Grill heat: medium-high
Ingredients of Grilled Ratatouille:
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 3 teaspoons freshly minced garlic (about 3 medium cloves)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh marjoram leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 3 roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 large zucchini, quartered lengthwise
- 1 large yellow squash, quartered lengthwise
- 1 medium globe eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into 1/2-inch rounds and skewered horizontally
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and halved
- 1 yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and halved
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions for Grilled Ratatouille:
- In a small bowl whisk together 2 tablespoons oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, basil, marjoram, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
- Place tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant, onion, and bell peppers on a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle remaining 1/4 cup oil over vegetables and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss to thoroughly coat vegetables in oil and seasoning.
- Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread the coals evenly over entire surface of coal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Place vegetable slices on grill and cooked until browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side for zucchini, squash, and eggplant, about 5 minutes per side for tomatoes, onion, and peppers. Transfer vegetables to cutting board and cut into large dice.
- Transfer vegetables to a large bowl, pour in herb vinaigrette and toss to combine. Serve immediately while warm or at room temperature.