Brush thick slices of country bread with olive oil to grill alongside the vegetables. To begin, dice some cucumber into chilled vichyssoise (either from a can or from restaurant takeout); offer watermelon and bakery brownies for dessert.
- 1 12- to 14-ounce eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch-thick rounds
- 1 zucchini, quartered lengthwise
- 1 red bell pepper, cut lengthwise into 6 strips
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 3 tablespoons purchased garlic-flavored olive oil
- 2 to 3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons slivered fresh basil
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Place eggplant, zucchini, red bell pepper and onion on baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper; turn to coat. Grill vegetables until tender and tinged with brown, turning frequently, about 6 minutes for eggplant and zucchini and about 10 minutes for red bell pepper and onion.
- Divide vegetables between 2 plates; drizzle with vinegar. Sprinkle cheese and basil over and serve.