Ingredients of Grilled Radicchio and Romaine Salad:
- 1 medium head romaine lettuce (about 1 lb.)
- 1 medium head radicchio (about 8 oz.)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium clove garlic
- 1 small anchovy fillet, rinsed and patted dry
- 2-1/2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated on the large holes of a box grater (1/2 cup, lightly packed)
Directions for Grilled Radicchio and Romaine Salad:
- Prepare a medium-high gas or charcoal grill fire, or heat a grill pan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Cut the romaine and radicchio in half through the root ends. Rinse the leaves and dry well.
- Pour the oil into a large baking dish. Dip the lettuces cut side down in the oil, swirling to coat well; then place them cut side down on the grill. Grill, covered, without turning, until charred and wilted in spots, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board. Remove the cores and chop the lettuce into bite-size pieces.
- Press the garlic and the anchovy through a garlic press into a large salad bowl (or mince by hand). Whisk in the vinegar, mustard, and 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper. Transfer the lettuces and any juice from the cutting board to the salad bowl. Add the cheese and toss well.
Nutrition information (per serving):
Calories (kcal): 310; Fat (g): 27; Fat Calories (kcal): 240; Saturated Fat (g): 5; Protein (g): 10; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 18; Carbohydrates (g): 8; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 3; Sodium (mg): 750; Cholesterol (mg): 20; Fiber (g): 3;