- 5 large russet potatoes, scrubbed and cut lengthwise into 1 1/2-inch wedges
- Coarse salt
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Place potatoes in a large pot, and add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Generously season water with coarse salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until a paring knife pierces through potatoes with some resistance, about 5 minutes. Drain in a colander, and pat potatoes dry with a kitchen towel.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. (If you are using a charcoal grill, coals are ready when you can hold your hand 5 inches above grill for 4 to 5 seconds.) Brush potato wedges with oil, and grill, turning occasionally, until blackened with grill marks and a knife tip pierces through with little resistance, about 8 minutes. Season with sea salt and pepper, and serve.