Ingredients of Grilled Potato Salad:
- 10 medium-sized new potatoes, unpeeled and quartered
- 3-4 small yellow summer pattypan squash, cut in half
- 1 bunch of green onions or spring onions
- a big splash of olive oil
- 2 lemons, cut in half
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- clove of garlic, mashed and chopped
- a couple drops of toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 a head of lettuce, washed and cut into bite-sized pieces
Directions for Grilled Potato Salad:
- Toss the potato wedges, squash, and green onions with a bit of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Place them on a medium-hot grill. Place the lemons on the grill as well, cut side down. Grill for 10-20 minutes or until golden and cooked through – moving around the grill if needed and flipping to get color on all sides. The squash will likely cook faster than the potatoes, remove pieces and place on a platter when they are done grilling.
- While everything is grilling, whisk together the rice vinegar, olive oil, garlic, sesame oil, and a couple pinches of salt. When the onions come off the grill, let them cool for a couple minutes and then cut into 1/2-inch segments. Set aside.
- Toss the lettuce with a splash of the dressing, and turn it out onto a large platter. Now toss the vegetables (but not the lemons) with a big splash of the dressing and arrange it on top of the lettuce sprinkled with the reserved grilled green onion segments. Garnish with the lemon (which I like to squeeze over my salad just before eating for an added layer of extra mellow tang that goes great with the potatoes.