Juicy, earthy portobello mushrooms make these tacos a mouthwatering treat. Don’t worry if the mushroom caps seem slightly undercooked when you pull them from the grill; leave them out on a plate, and they will continue to cook (this is called carryover cooking).
30 minutes or fewer
Ingredients of Grilled Portobello Tacos with Salsa Verde:
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 3 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 6 large portobello mushroom caps
- 6 6-inch soft corn tortillas
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- Vegan sour cream, optional
- 4 tomatillos, chopped (or 1 cup canned)
- 1 large green bell pepper or poblano chile, roughly chopped
- 1 large bunch fresh cilantro, leaves only
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tsp. organic sugar or agave nectar
- 1 ¼ tsp. canola oil
- 1 tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
Directions for Grilled Portobello Tacos with Salsa Verde:
- Preheat grill or grill pan to high heat. To make Marinade: combine all ingredients in small bowl.
To make Tacos:
- Brush mushroom caps with marinade. Grill mushrooms 3 to 5 minutes per side. Cool until easy to handle, then slice into strips.
To make Salsa Verde:
- Purée all ingredients in food processor 1 minute, or until smooth. Pour salsa over mushroom strips, and let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
- Lightly warm tortillas 15 seconds per side in skillet or on griddle. Fill tortillas with sliced mushrooms, avocado slices, tomatoes, and cabbage. Top each taco with sour cream, if using.