- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- salt & pepper
- 4 kaiser rolls or burger buns or 8 slices of any other loaf bread
- 2-4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 4 slices beefsteak tomato
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella (or whatever cheese you like)
- 4 large pieces of store bought, jarred roasted red pepper
- 1 cup salad leaves or lettuce of your choice
- Heat an outdoor grill to 400 F.
- Wipe the mushrooms clean. Using a spoon, scrape off the gills from the mushrooms. Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Brush the olive oil and vinegar mixture all over the mushrooms.
- Place the mushroom caps on the grill and grill about 2-3 minutes on one side. Flip the mushroom caps, and grill another 2-3 minutes. (If you like your cheese melted, place cheese slices on portobello caps (gill side) after you have flipped them). Remove grilled mushrooms to a plate, and cover to keep warm. If you are not using an outdoor grill, broil the mushrooms in the oven; about 3-4 minutes (or till browned a little) per side.
- Cut the bread roll in half. Spread some mayonnaise or my white bean asparagus hummus on both halves. Sprinkle some basil on top. On the bottom half of the bread roll, arrange the grilled portobello mushroom, tomato slice, mozzarella slice, and roasted red pepper. Top with lettuce or salad greens. Place the other bread slice on top. Secure sandwich with a toothpick. Serve with a side of soup or salad and fries or chips.