Servings: 4 side-dish servings
Prep Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 4 hrs 10 mins
Ingredients of grilled polenta and tomato relish:
- 1-2/3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cupcold water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 small red tomatoes, cut into wedges and seeded
- 3 small green tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tequila or orange juice
- 1 to 3 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Olive oil
Directions grilled polenta and tomato relish:
- Line a 9-inch round baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges. Grease foil; set aside. In a medium saucepan bring the 1-2/3 cups water, butter, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to boiling.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl stir together cornmeal, 1 cup cold water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Slowly add moistened cornmeal mixture to boiling water, stirring constantly. Cook and stir just until mixture returns to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Cook, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until mixture is very thick, stirring occasionally. Evenly spread the cornmeal mixture in prepared pan. Cool; refrigerate, covered, for 3 to 24 hours.
- For the Tomato Relish: In a large bowl combine the red tomatoes, green tomatoes, 1 tablespoon olive oil, tequila, 1 to 3 teaspoons brown sugar, and chili powder. Cover and refrigerate until serving time. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before serving.
- Using foil lift cornmeal mixture from pan and gently cut into 8 wedges. Generously brush wedges with additional olive oil and grill directly over medium-hot coals for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden, turning as needed to brown evenly. (To prepare indoors, in a 12-inch skillet heat wedges in 1 tablespoon hot olive oil over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden, turning occasionally.)
- To serve, layer 2 grilled polenta wedges with tomato mixture on each plate. Spoon any of the Tomato Relish mixture over all. Makes 4 side-dish servings.
Note: To use purchased polenta, omit water, butter, the 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, salt, and cornmeal. Slice a 16-ounce tube refrigerated cooked polenta into 1/2-inch slices. Grill or cook in skillet as directed in Step 4, above.
To make this dish without using the stove at all, use purchased polenta.
Per serving: Calories 234, Total Fat 11 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Monounsaturated Fat 6 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 8 mg, Sodium 627 mg, Carbohydrate 30 g, Total Sugar 9 g, Fiber 4 g, Protein 4 g. Daily Values: Vitamin C 38%, Calcium 3%, Iron 6%. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet