- 4 very ripe plantains, peeled and sliced on the bias 1/2-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
- Freshly ground pepper
Type of fire: two-zone indirect
Grill heat: medium-high
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, orange juice, honey and cilantro. Set aside.
- Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all the charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread the coals evenly over the charcoal grate. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Brush the plantains with the oil and place on the hot side of the grill until caramelized on both sides, about 30 seconds to 2 minutes per side.
- Move the plantains to the cool side of the grill, brush all over with the with the brown sugar mixture. Cover and continue to cook until plantains are completely soft, but not mushy, about 2 to 5 minutes more. Remove from the grill, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.