Grilling okra is perhaps the simplest way to prepare one of the weirder members of the vegetable kingdom. The insides are moist (but not slimy) and the outsides get a little crispy, giving you a bit of that fried okra crunch infused with smokiness from the grill. Without all the hassle and the grease of fried okra.
Yields: Servings vary .
Estimated time: 20 minutes.
- Okra pods, up to ~4 inches long
- Olive oil
- Jalapeno-Cilantro Ranch, for dipping (optional)
- Heat your grill to high.
- Using a paring knife, cut the okra pods in half, lengthwise, leaving the pods connected at the top near the stem.
- Lightly spray or drizzle with olive oil and season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- Place over direct heat on the grill ~4 minutes, rotating and cooking for another 3-4 minutes.
- Pull off the grill and serve hot with your favorite ranch dressing dipper on the side.