Grilled okra is great finger food: Just dip and eat. Let the grill heat for 15 to 20 minutes to make sure it’s nice and hot before cooking the okra. High heat ensures that okra cooks quickly and maintains its crunch.
Ingredients of Grilled Okra with Smoked Paprika-Shallot Dip:
- 1 lb. small okra pods (no longer than 2 inches)
- 1-1/2 Tbs. canola oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 medium shallot, grated on the large holes of a box grater (about 2 Tbs.)
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
Directions for Grilled Okra with Smoked Paprika-Shallot Dip:
- Prepare a high gas or charcoal grill fire. Partially split each okra pod lengthwise, leaving about 1/2 inch uncut at the stem end. In a large bowl, toss the okra with the oil, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, shallot, lemon juice, cilantro (if using), smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 tsp. salt; set aside.
- Grill the okra, flipping once, until the pods are slightly charred and have just split open, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large platter (don’t overcrowd the platter as residual heat and steam can soften the pods). Serve the okra hot with the dip on the side.
Nutrition information (per serving):
Calories (kcal): 160; Fat (g): 14; Fat Calories (kcal): 130; Saturated Fat (g): 3; Protein (g): 2; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 5; Carbohydrates (g): 7; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 5; Sodium (mg): 350; Cholesterol (mg): 10; Fiber (g): 3;