Makes: 4 servings.
Prep 20 mins.
Grill 25 mins.
- 12 ounces green beans, trimmed
- 8 unpeeled cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 – 2 jalapeno peppers, cut into thin strips (do not seed)*
- 2 teaspoons lemon-flavored olive oil (or 1-1/2 tsp. olive oil and 1/2 tsp. lemon juice)
- In a large bowl toss together beans, garlic, water, cooking oil, and jalapeno pepper; set aside. Fold a 36×18-inch piece of heavy foil in half to make an 18-inch square. Place bean mixture in center of foil. Bring together 2 opposite edges of foil; seal with a double fold. Fold remaining edges together to enclose the beans, leaving space for steam to build.
- For a charcoal grill, place bean packet on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 20 minutes, turning once. Remove packet from the grill and cool slightly. Carefully open packet (some steam will escape). Return open foil packet to the grill rack. Continue grilling 5 minutes more or until beans are just browned and crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place packet on grill rack. Cover and grill beans as above.)
- Transfer beans to a serving bowl. Drizzle with lemon-flavor olive oil. Season to taste with salt. To serve, remove peel from garlic cloves, mash lightly, and divide cloves among servings of beans. Makes 4 servings.
*Jalapeno peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with jalapenos as much as possible. When working with all hot peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves or wash hands immediately after handling.
Nutrition facts (Grilled Green Beans):
Servings Per Recipe 4, cal. (kcal) 59, Fat, total (g) 4, carb. (g) 7, Monosaturated fat (g) 2, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, fiber (g) 3, sugar (g) 2, pro. (g) 2, vit. A (IU) 486, vit. C (mg) 12, sodium (mg) 78, calcium (mg) 30, iron (mg) 1, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.