Pizza may not be the first thing you think of for the grill, but it grills beautifully and is easily topped with a variety of meatless options. Here, grilled beets and their greens are surprisingly delicious toppings.
Ingredients of Grilled Goat Cheese Pizza with Figs, Beets, and Wilted Greens:
- 4 medium beets with tops, beets peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick, and beet greens washed, stemmed, and thinly sliced
- 4 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. pizza dough (white or whole wheat), at room temperature
- All-purpose flour, as needed
- Cornmeal, as needed
- 4 oz. goat cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup chopped dried figs
- 4 thin slices provolone (about 3 oz.)
Directions for Recipe: Grilled Goat Cheese Pizza with Figs, Beets, and Wilted Greens:
- Prepare a high gas or charcoal grill fire.
- In a medium bowl, toss the beets with 2 tsp. of the oil and a light sprinkling of salt and pepper. In another medium bowl, toss the beet greens with the remaining 2 tsp. oil and a light sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Using a dough scraper or sharp knife, quarter the dough. Working with 1 piece at a time, stretch or roll each piece of dough into a rustic 12×3-1/2- to 4-inch oval. If the dough resists stretching, let it rest for a few minutes while you work on the other pieces. Transfer to large cornmeal-coated rimmed baking sheets.
- Grill the beets, covered and turning once, until tender and spotty brown on both sides, 8 to 10 minutes. Return the beets to their bowl and set aside.
- Reduce the grill heat to medium low (or let the fire die down). Arrange the pizzas on the grill perpendicular to the grate. Cover and grill, moving them around as needed to ensure even cooking, until the bottoms are spotty brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Return the crusts to the baking sheets grilled side up. Spread each with a quarter of the softened goat cheese and then top with the beet greens, grilled beets, and figs. Top with the provolone, breaking it into pieces so that most of each pizza is covered. Return the pizzas to the grill, cover and cook until the bottoms are spotty brown, the greens are wilted, and the cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes longer, Transfer the pizzas to a cutting board, cut into pieces, and serve.
Serve these individual pizzas with a mini antipasto platter of grilled red peppers, olives, and marinated artichoke hearts.
Nutrition information (per serving):
Calories (kcal): 540; Fat (g): 23; Fat Calories (kcal): 210; Saturated Fat (g): 10; Protein (g): 21; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 7; Carbohydrates (g): 68; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 1; Sodium (mg): 1070; Cholesterol (mg): 35; Fiber (g): 3;