Ingredients of Grilled Escarole with Fines Herbes Salsa Verde:
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled
- Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup finely diced shallot (1 medium)
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar; more as needed
- 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 Tbs. thinly sliced fresh chives
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh tarragon or chervil
- 1/2 cup plus 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil; more as needed
- 2 Tbs. capers, rinsed well and coarsely chopped
- 1 large hard-cooked egg, at room temperature
- 2 large heads escarole (about 3 lb. total), trimmed of any tough outer leaves and discolored ends, quartered lengthwise, with cores intact
Directions for Grilled Escarole with Fines Herbes Salsa Verde:
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill fire for direct grilling over medium heat (350°F).
- With a mortar and pestle (or using the side of a chef’s knife), mash the garlic to a smooth paste with a pinch of salt. Combine the garlic paste with the shallot, vinegar, and mustard in a small bowl. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the herbs, 1/2 cup of the olive oil, and the capers. Stir the shallot mixture into the herb mixture. Chop the egg (or mash it in a bowl) and gently stir it into the salsa. If you’d like the salsa to be looser, add more oil. Season to taste with more salt or vinegar if necessary.
- Put the escarole on a baking sheet, drizzle with the remaining 3 Tbs. of olive oil, toss gently to coat evenly, and season with salt. Place the escarole on the grill cut side down and grill until nicely marked, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn and mark on the other cut sides, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Transfer the grilled escarole to a platter or individual plates, and spoon some of the salsa on top. Serve immediately, passing any remaining salsa at the table.
Nutrition information (per serving):
Calories (kcal): 210; Fat (g): 20; Fat Calories (kcal): 170; Saturated Fat (g): 3; Protein (g): 3; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 14; Carbohydrates (g): 7; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 2; Sodium (mg): 290; Cholesterol (mg): 25; Fiber (g): 5;