Prep time: 10 minutes.
Cook time: 5 minutes.
- Fresh English or shell peas, in their pods
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Balsamic vinegar (optional)
- A few fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced (optional)
- Prepare your grill for high, direct heat.
- Place a handful of peas into a bowl and drizzle olive oil over them. Sprinkle generously with kosher salt. Toss to coat with oil and salt.
- Place peas on hot grill, arranged in a way so that they don’t fall through the grill grates. Grill a few minutes on each side, so that the peas are well charred, and sufficiently cooked so that the peas are tender inside.
- Remove to a bowl and drizzle with a little balsamic and toss with a little mint if you want.
Eat like edamame. Plop the pod in your mouth and scrape against the salty, charred surface of the pod to extract the peas. Discard the empty pods.