Looking for a vegetarian option for your next cookout? This grilled eggplant and portobello sandwich is our answer. For extra flavor, we top it with slices of garden-fresh tomato and spicy arugula. Serve with a mixed green salad.
Active Time: 25 minutes.
Total Time: 25 minutes.
Ingredients of Grilled Eggplant & Portobello Sandwich:
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound), sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 2 large or 3 medium portobello mushroom caps, gills removed (see Tip)
- Canola or olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread, lightly grilled or toasted
- 2 cups arugula, or spinach, stemmed and chopped if large
- 1 large tomato, sliced
Directions forGrilled Eggplant & Portobello Sandwich:
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Mash garlic into a paste on a cutting board with the back of a spoon. Combine with mayonnaise and lemon juice in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Coat both sides of eggplant rounds and mushroom caps with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper. Grill the vegetables, turning once, until tender and browned on both sides: 2 to 3 minutes per side for eggplant, 3 to 4 minutes for mushrooms. When cool enough to handle, slice the mushrooms.
- Spread 1 1/2 teaspoons of the garlic mayonnaise on each piece of bread. Layer the eggplant, mushrooms, arugula (or spinach) and tomato slices onto 4 slices of bread and top with the remaining bread.
Tips and notes:
Tip: The dark gills found on the underside of a portobello mushroom cap are edible, but can turn a dish an unappealing gray/black color. Gently scrape the gills off with a spoon.
Per serving: 250 calories; 7 g fat ( 1 g sat , 3 g mono ); 4 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 9 g fiber; 688 mg sodium; 789 mg potassium.