Servings # 4.
Number of ingredients: 8.
Prep time: 30 Min.
Total time: 30 Min.
Ingredients of Grilled Eggplant Pizza Sandwiches:
- 8 (3/4-inch-thick) slices eggplant
- 4 (1/4-inch-thick) slices sweet onion
- 1 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8-oz.) can pizza sauce
- 8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices Italian or sourdough bread, toasted
- 4 (1 1/2-oz.) slices mozzarella cheese
Directions for Grilled Eggplant Pizza Sandwiches:
- Heat grill. When ready to grill, brush eggplant, onion and zucchini with oil; sprinkle with salt. Place on gas grill over medium heat or on charcoal grill 4 to 6 inches from medium coals. Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- Meanwhile, heat pizza sauce in small saucepan until hot.
- Spread 1 side of each of 4 toasted bread slices with 2 tablespoons pizza sauce. Top each with grilled vegetables. Spoon remaining pizza sauce over vegetables. Top each with cheese and slice of toast.
- Select eggplant that has a smooth peel with no blemishes or soft spots. A small young eggplant has a tender peel that doesn’t require removal.
- To reduce the fat in each serving of these sandwiches by about 9 grams, use reduced-fat mozzarella cheese and omit the olive oil. Instead, spritz the vegetables with olive oil-flavor or regular nonstick cooking spray.
- Toast the bread on the grill, watching it carefully and turning once, until it is light golden brown.
- These sandwiches make nice melts. Arrange them on a sheet of heavy-duty foil and place it on the grill. Close the grill and heat it just until the cheese is melted.
1 Serving (1 Sandwich) Calories 380 (Calories from Fat 110), Total Fat 12g (Saturated Fat 6g,), Cholesterol 25mg; Sodium 820mg; Total Carbohydrate 48g (Dietary Fiber 7g, Sugars 10g), Protein 20g; Percent Daily Value*: Exchanges:2 Starch;1 Fruit;3 Other Carbohydrate;1 Vegetable;1/2 Fat; *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.