Prep: 20 min
Cook: 32 min
Yield: 4 servings
Ingredients of Grilled Eggplant and Manchego Cheese Salad with Fresh Basil and Balsamic-Black Pepper Glaze:
- 2 cups balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 3 medium eggplants, sliced 1/4-inch thick (you will need 12 equal slices)
- 1/3 cup pure olive oil
- 8 (1/4-inch thick) slices Manchego cheese
- 16 fresh basil leaves, plus 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Directions for Grilled Eggplant and Manchego Cheese Salad with Fresh Basil and Balsamic-Black Pepper Glaze:
- Put vinegar in a medium saucepan over high heat, bring to a boil and reduce until thick and syrupy. Stir in the honey and coarsely ground black pepper and transfer to a bowl. Can be made 1 day in advance and refrigerated and brought to room temperature before using.
- Heat the grill to high.
- Brush both sides of the eggplant with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the eggplant on the grill and grill until golden brown and slightly charred, about 4 minutes. Turn over and continue grilling until just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes longer.
- Transfer 8 slices of the eggplant to a flat surface and top each slice with a slice of cheese and 2 basil leaves and season with salt and pepper. Repeat, making 4 stacks, each with 3 slices of eggplant and 2 slices of cheese. Carefully return the stacks to the grill and grill for 2 minutes, or until the cheese is slightly melted. Remove the stacks to a large dinner plate and drizzle with some of the balsamic-black pepper glaze. Garnish with some of the chopped basil.