YIELD: makes 4 sandwiches.
ACTIVE TIME: 30 minutes.
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes.
SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: grill or grill pan.
- 4 ears fresh corn, shucked
- 4 jalapeño peppers, split in half, stems, seeds, and ribs removed
- 2 poblano peppers, split in half, stems, seeds, and ribs removed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound grated oaxaca or mozzarella cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 crusty rolls (about 6 inches long), split lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 small white onion, finely diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Heat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Preheat for 5 minutes. Brush corn, jalapeños, and poblanos with vegetable oil. Grill until charred on all sides, turning occasionally with tongs, 7 to 10 minutes for corn, 5 to 7 minutes for chilis. Transfer to cutting board. When cool enough to handle, cut corn kernels from cob into a large bowl and slice the chilies into thin strips.
- Heat cheese in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until completely melted and browned in spots, about 4 minutes. Stir in corn and chilies. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to lowest setting to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, butter exterior of split rolls. Divide cheese mixture evenly among rolls and press together. Cook in a large skillet or over the grill, 2 sandwiches at a time, until crisp and browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to cutting board and cut in half. Toss together onions, cilantro, and lime juice. Serve sandwiches with onion mixture.