Like all Caesar salads, this version is best enjoyed immediately after tossing. It will be slightly warm, which I find only adds to its appeal. I’ve used crouton, but you could just as easily grill a few slices of crusty bread, then tear them up and toss them into your salad.
- 3 hearts of Romaine lettuce
- 1 cup croutons (make your own!)
- handful of freshly grated Parmesan
- 3 Tablespoons of your favorite Caesar salad dressing or my quick eggless vinaigrette below
- Preheat grill to 400°F, then reduce burners to medium heat.
- Slice Romaine hearts in half lengthwise and place on grill. Grill for about two minutes per side, until grill marks appear and outer leaves start to blacken slightly.
- Remove lettuce from grill and place on a large cutting board. With a sharp knife, quickly chop Romaine cross-wise into 1-inch strips; transfer lettuce to a large bowl.
- Toss lettuce with Caesar dressing, Parmesan, and croutons until well combined. Taste salad, and add salt if necessary. Serve at once.
Quick Caesar Vinaigrette (egg-free)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- juice of 1/2 lemon (approx. 2 Tablespoons)
- 6 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
- Crush garlic with the blade of a chef’s knife and transfer to a small bowl. Add lemon juice, salt, and anchovy paste and whisk to combine.
- Slowly drizzle in olive oil until vinaigrette is emulsified. Use at once or transfer to a small jar and refrigerate for up to five days.