- 2 cups baby spinach, cleaned and torn into small pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh thyme leaves (stems removed)
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil plus more for brushing
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 2 teaspoons minced preserved lemon
- 6 thick slices of good Italian country bread
- In a food processor, combine the spinach, thyme, pine nuts, garlic, Parmesan, and salt. Process until the ingredients are roughly chopped. With the processor running, gradually drizzle in the olive oil until you have a chunky pesto. Set aside. (This will make more pesto than needed; the rest can be kept refrigerated for about a week and used in other dishes like pasta, chicken, and fish.)
- In a small bowl, combine creme fraiche and preserved lemon. Allow to stand in the refrigerator for about a half hour for the flavors to combine.
- Heat the grill. Lightly brush each slice of bread with olive oil on both sides. Grill the slices a minute or two per side until they are crusty and have charred grill marks but are still soft in the middle.
- Spread each slice of bread with the pesto, and top with a generous smear of preserved lemon cream. Enjoy!