Prep Time: 1 1/2 hours
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
Servings: 4 personal pizzas
Ingredients of Grilled Blue Pizza:
Pizza dough prep
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 4 teaspoons yeast
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup blue cornmeal
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 small blue potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons SIMI chardonnay
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 pinch Salt and pepper
Directions for Grilled Blue Pizza:
For the blue corn dough
- Place everything in the bowl of an electric mixer with a dough hook and mix for 10 seconds.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit for 30 minutes
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix on medium speed for 10 minutes.
- Place the dough into a bowl that has been lightly coated with olive oil. Coat the dough ball completely with oil and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until it doubles in size.
- Punch down and form into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for an additional 30 minutes.
For the onion jam
- Sauté the onions in butter until soft, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the wine and cook until dry. Reserve until ready to use.
For the cheese sauce
- Melt butter in a saucepan, add the shallot and cook for 15 seconds.
- Add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Add the cold milk and whisk until smooth. Cook over low for 20 minutes whisking occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the parmesan and whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Preheat grill to about 450 degrees. Divide the dough into 4 pieces.
- Roll out each piece until it is about 1/8” thick. (The more uneven and rustic the shape, the better!) 3. Place dough onto hot grill. Cook until the bottom is set and there are nicely golden grill marks.
- Flip over and add the cheese sauce.
- Top with some of the onion jam and sliced blue potatoes. Close the barbeque lid. Remove when the potatoes are hot and the crust is golden.
- Top with crumbled blue cheese, slice and serve.