PREP TIME: 10 Min.
TOTAL TIME: 30 Min.
Ingredients of Grilled Black Bean- and Rice-Stuffed Peppers:
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained, rinsed
- 3/4 cup cooked white rice
- 4 medium green onions, sliced (1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large bell peppers, cut lengthwise in half, seeds removed
- 1 plum (Roma) tomato, diced
- Additional chopped fresh cilantro, if desired
Directions for Grilled Black Bean- and Rice-Stuffed Peppers:
- Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat. Cut three 18×12-inch pieces heavy-duty foil. Spray with cooking spray.
- Mix beans, rice, onions, 1/4 cup cilantro, the oil, lime juice, garlic and salt. Place 2 bell pepper halves on one side of each foil piece. Fill with bean mixture.
- Fold foil over peppers so edges meet. Seal edges, making tight 1/2-inch fold; fold again. Allow space on sides for circulation and expansion.
- Cover and grill packets over medium heat 15 to 20 minutes or until peppers are tender. Place packets on serving platter. Cut large X across top of each packet; fold back foil. Sprinkle with tomato and additional cilantro.
- If you like, sprinkle the cooked peppers with shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese.
- Any color bell pepper can be used for this recipe. For fiesta flair, try using a variety of colors.
- These meatless stuffed bell peppers can be served as a main dish with salad and bread.
1 Serving (1 Serving) Calories 180 (Calories from Fat 45), Total Fat 5g (Saturated Fat 1g,Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 105mg; Total Carbohydrate 27g (Dietary Fiber 6g, Sugars 4g), Protein 7g; Percent Daily Value*: Exchanges:1 1/2 Starch;0 Fruit;0 Other Carbohydrate;0 Skim Milk;0 Low-Fat Milk;0 Milk;1 Vegetable;0 Very Lean Meat;0 Lean Meat;0 High-Fat Meat;1 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices:2; *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.